Search This Blog


Thursday, April 17, 2014

Cheaper, better, and more stylish!

I will have to confess a certain amount of smug satisfaction when I can out-do what is available at the stores. My new favorite pattern fits the bill for that perfectly. McCall's 6918 has an array of adorable skorts for girls sizes 3-14 and they are quick and easy to make. Plus, it is WAY cheaper to do it yourself and then it can be custom as well. One skort like this (albeit plain color most likely) from Children's Place would likely cost about $12-18 and don't even get me started on Justice and their constant 40% off sale combined with outrageous starting price mark-up.

I need to pick up some back-up copies of this pattern at the next McCall's 99cent sale!

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Easter classics

A smocked dress for Gracie and a button-down for big brother Jamie:

Gracie is wearing Australian Smocking & Embroidery #88 "Blush" in a soft, floral print.

Jamie is wearing Ottobre magazine 03-2012 #21 shirt. I think they coordinate well together (and will look good in pictures with Benjamin's green giraffe shirt).

I just need to pick up a new polo shirt for oldest brother Matthew to complete the kids' look.

Meanwhile, I have Vogue 1398 cut and ready to sew for myself in a medium lavender shade of purple crepe.

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Benjamin's Easter shirt

Benjamin models design #36 from the summer 2009 Ottobre magazine.
Benjamin requested a new giraffe shirt for Easter. He had a woven pullover top with a giraffe print and applique that he finally outgrew, so it was time for something a little more sophisticated, but just as giraffe-y. 
He helped me select this spring green fabric at Elegant Stitches and I cut the pieces before stitching out the giraffe scene on the bottom left front piece. 

The shirt has nice details like side vents and a great pocket design. The collar is a one piece construction. 

Benjamin is a satisfied client on this one. He wanted to leave it on tonight, but I told him he wasn't wearing it until Easter Sunday. I have a feeling I will be seeing this one on him many Sundays!

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Teal, black, and white...

Gracie's cheer gym colors are teal, black, and white, so when I was buying spandex for some practice outfits, I decided to make her something special to wear for team placement night which is coming up in just over a week.

This is another version of the Jalie yoga pants/short pattern and a shortened leotard.

This time I split the top into four sections front and back to color-block it.

The design wraps front to back.
...and of course, the fabric is shiny and glittery!

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Ruffles, and glitter, and lycra, oh my!

 Look who looks like her dolly Julia!

 It's Cheer Gracie!

They match!

 How cute is this!

She's working on her splits...

The back alteration - I pulled the straps over and stitched them down to make them fit better since she needs a small for length, but is otherwise pretty tiny.

I sewed up Kwik Sew 5054 in both the little girl and doll versions for Gracie's cheer wear. This was a lot of fun to make between the fabric and the design, and she LOVES it! We took a lot of pictures of this one...she plans to wear it tomorrow night at the cheer gym, a place my SEVEN year old (as of tomorrow!) loves to be!

Sunday, April 6, 2014

More cheer practice gear

My girl is pretty excited that the new cheer season is about to kick off with team placements later this month. She has been doing both gymnastics at Lee Co. Parks & Rec and tumbling with Cheer Extreme in order to develop her skills and decide which one she wants to participate on as a team sport.

Well, it is cheer all the way! She loves tumbling and has learned so much at the cheer gym. A couple of weeks ago at gymnastics she did a back handspring better than most of the team girls in her age group!

Since she will be spending even more time at the cheer gym, I thought it would be fun to make her some more practice outfits. These are so fun to make - quick and easy - and they allow some creative design options. All of these two outfits' pieces are made with Jalie patterns 3247 (sports bra and short, 2196 (skort), and 3139 (leotard pattern adapted into color-blocked crop top).
I have two more outfits cut and ready to sew. One is another version of Jalie 3139 (top) with the yoga shorts (Jalie 3022) and the other is Kwik Sew 4054 (a brand new pattern with dance/workout separates for girls and 18" doll clothes to match).