Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Turning pro

I have had people ask me about whether I do custom sewing for several years, but I just have not felt I had the right product to offer in terms of a fair market price that would be worth my time (and without the market being over-saturated). I figured it out, though: cheer & gymnastics gear. I think I could sew tumbling shorts in my sleep at this point, plus I have a wide range of sample items and a ton of fabric (plus a REALLY adorable little model).

I already have one sample item listed with much more to come: Flippin' Cute Cheer Gear

Here's my latest. It's a crop top version of Jalie 3354 and the shorts from Jalie 3247 with a custom cheer bow to match.




I have a lot more of this awesome red fabric!

Here's the latest way to clean your ceiling fan...

Monday, May 26, 2014

Ready for the pool







I always dread buying a swimsuit - not because my body isn't exactly bikini-ready (it isn't...whatever), but because when your bra size goes pretty far up the alphabet, getting a top that fits is horrendously difficult.
This year, I am determined to conquer that problem. I went with Simplicity 1374 and did an FBA by increasing the size of the bodice piece. I also changed the halter straps to a cross back and sewing the bodice lining to an internal elastic band (the kind meant for the bottom of a bra) to make an internal bra for this.

The bottom is Jalie 3023. Luckily, that was quick, easy, and no fitting issues!

The coverup is also from Simplicity 1374. It is made from a heavy raspberry-colored terry cloth and monogrammed on the front wrap piece. I didn't have wide-enough FOE for the straps, so I used strips of ITY knit the same way.

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Cheer Gear

Since Gracie is at the cheer gym 3-4 nights a week now, I have an excuse to play with Lycra and Jalie patterns some more!

This outfit is made from three Jalie patterns:

The sports bra is from Jalie 2563. I added FOE (fold-over elastic) to trim the edges.

The skirt is from Jalie 3023 with the boy shorts from Jalie 2796 underneath it (attached). This was a Frankenpattern of a swimsuit bottom from the tankini pattern with a short that had more coverage.

I made the cheer bow myself. I got 3 inch wide grosgrain ribbon and use Heat N- Bond Lite to attach the lycra to two 18 inch pieces of ribbon. The bow is sewn together securely and finished with 3/8 inc black ribbon at the knot. I sewed it to the elastic band as well (without going through the elastic).


Sunday, May 4, 2014

More spring fashion


 My sweet girl models "Gypsy Dance" by AS&E.

 Don'tcha love Benjamin's oh-so-cool hat?

The dress is twirl-approved.




I have cleared my cut, but not yet sewn, backlog! I finally finished the dress from Australian Smocking & Embroidery that I had begun in March. It's "Gypsy Dance" from Issue 86. The colors are so much fun, but I underestimated my piping needs and ran out before I finished the bottom tier, so I improvised with prepackaged, double-fold bias tape. She said she feels like a princess in it (and even let me curl her hair this morning before I took pictures and we went to church).

I also completed Butterick 5924, a shirt just made for a bias plaid.
Another fabric-specific project was Ottobre Woman 02-2014 #1. I just had to shorten it a little to make my fabric work. I think I'll be wearing some bike shorts under this! It's cute for casual summer wear, though.

Finally, I completed a second version of Jamie's Easter shirt - this time in a lovely classic seersucker stripe. He had some fun modeling it for me and definitely approved the look.