| Pretty women wonder where my secret lies. I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size But when I start to tell them, They think I'm telling lies. I say, It's in the reach of my arms The span of my hips, The stride of my step, The curl of my lips. I'm a woman Phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, That's me. I walk into a room Just as cool as you please, And to a man, The fellows stand or Fall down on their knees. Then they swarm around me, A hive of honey bees. I say, It's the fire in my eyes, And the flash of my teeth, The swing in my waist, And the joy in my feet. I'm a woman Phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, That's me. Men themselves have wondered What they see in me. They try so much But they can't touch My inner mystery. When I try to show them They say they still can't see. I say, It's in the arch of my back, The sun of my smile, The ride of my breasts, The grace of my style. I'm a woman Phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, That's me. Now you understand Just why my head's not bowed. I don't shout or jump about Or have to talk real loud. When you see me passing It ought to make you proud. I say, It's in the click of my heels, The bend of my hair, the palm of my hand, The need of my care, 'Cause I'm a woman Phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, That's me I'm 5'4" and a size 12/14 in RTW which makes me pretty darn average - except for my girls because I definitely have an above-average size bust. I used to care that my body wasn't perfect. Then I gave birth to and nursed (for a cumulative total of 7 years) four beautiful, healthy children. Things could be a lot worse. As a sewist, I have come to realize I have a unique advantage. I'm right at the size where patterns tend to cross size ranges. I just picked up a La Mia Boutique Tagli Fortie because I'm only one size off (smaller than) many of the patterns. Plus, I already know they look good on models with figures more like mine than the size 2's modeling in the regular issue. If I sew it, it's about the final appearance, not vanity sizing. I make it fit me. Of course, I thumbed through the issue, identified several things I like and want to make and proceded to cut out two nightgowns and a skirt from big four patterns. The fabric for the skirt was Italian. Does that count? LOL ;-) |
Adventures in sewing for children, the home, and ME with sources from around the world - Ottobre, Burda, La Mia Boutique, Australian Smocking, Jalie, Bizzkids, Farbenmix PLUS heirloom (Children's Corner, Bonnie Blue, Collars, Etc.), boutique (Portobello Pixie, Modkid), and of course, major U.S. pattern labels (McCall's, Simplicity, Butterick, Vogue).
Search This Blog
Monday, April 4, 2011
I like my size
Allow my day job to creep out and share a poem with you (I'm an English teacher) - Maya Angelou's "Phenomenal Woman"

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment