Search This Blog

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Embroidery inspiration

I am really fortunate to live in central North Carolina. Why? Well, among many other fine reasons, I have easy access to the Patsy Aiken outlet. They have some of the most beautiful, high quality fabrics that are perfect for children's clothing (since that is mostly what their company sells). This was my haul from yesterday's outlet visit:

The stripes are all destined for my boys' clothing, and the rest I have already been cutting into with lightening speed for Gracie. The aqua and purple coordinates are all destined for a Daisy Kingdom dress, while the apples will be a Project Runway jumper. The brown and aqua and green print is another jumper pattern. The pink and white stripe will be leggings, matching with the pink with flowers and birds (beside the orange). The orange with flowers has been cut into a top, matching with the brown dot for a pair of pants. Yes, I was a cutting fool when I got home last night - just too much fabric goodness here!

Of course, now that I have an embroidery machine, I couldn't let these fabrics go unembellished. I got some inspiration for monogramming from Patsy Aiken designs. So many of the garments are classic styles with options for machine embroidery. The image to the left is from the catalog. I love how these clothes take the style up a notch with a simple monogram. I even have the same font (Curlz) which I am using on the orange shirt. I'm new to embroidery, so I have been experimenting with my machine and decided to cut a piece of fabric larger than I needed for my pattern piece, added the stabilizer and monogrammed it before cutting the design out. That was a lot easier than trying to hit the target on an already cut pattern piece.

I made my first attempt at machine embroidery on a garment with this top (Ottobre 4/2005):
For that I stabilized and hooped the cut pattern piece since it was so large, but I think next time I will do it the way I did this time, with a rougher cut piece, embroidery, and then a final cut of the pattern piece. I've also come to realize that technique is definitely necessary when placing embroidery on smaller pieces or near the edges of a garment you are sewing. I'm doing that with a pair of pants right now.

At some point soon, I plan to add a section on machine embroidery resources to my blog. I'm so excited about being able to do machine embroidery. It just takes things up a level and it's so beautiful on so many things. I've already done quite a few towels. I feel like I made a great investment.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! A great haul indeed, lucky you and luckly little ones who get to show off your creations.

    Christiana
    sewamusing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete