Search This Blog

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Easter dressing & other Spring looks

So, this year, I am NOT smocking through the night! LOL - I learned from last year...Gracie's Easter dress is complete and so is mine. I purchased some clothes for the boys.

First up is the Manhatten dress from the book Sewing Clothes Kids Love by Nancy Langdon. This is a wonderful book and Manhatten is a truly spectacular dress.

There is a lot of detail to this pattern and I chose three fabrics to make that detail stand out. I also discovered that it needed some embellishment and attention to the hem if it was to truly show off the detailed, double-layered structure.

So, I purchased the polka dot ruffled ribbon and the peach gingham used to lace up the sides. (I hadn't cut quite enough of the white I used at first!) I also figured out that I liked the bow tied at the bottom of each side rather than the top.

For my Easter dress, I went with a Project Runway pattern, Simplicity 2145. This dress has a great shape and lots of interesting options. Bonus? Since I used ponte knit, I didn't need to bother with a zipper!

I also knocked out a couple of other Spring pieces. This is Vogue 8663 in a really spectacular knit print I got from a fabric outlet in Lemoyne, PA while visiting the in-laws. I like the shape of this dress a lot.

The dress also works with this structured knit jacket from the latest Ottobre Woman magazine (02-2013-14). Why yes, I did use some ponte knit again!

Finally, I cut into a stretch blend linen I purchased dirt cheap from Fabric Mart this year. I made Lisette's "Diplomat dress" from Simplicity 1878. Only minimal alterations to the front below the yoke were needed to get a great FBA. (This dress also can work with the turquoise jacket or the red one I made several weeks ago.)

I am getting ready to use some more of this linen blend in a red, blue, and gold print for Butterick 5854 (view D).

I also have one more ponte knit project - Vogue 1150 (by Cynthia Steffe) in an emerald green with cream contrast at hem, collar, zipper placket, and cap sleeves.

I have a really cool green zipper with a peacock print that I will use for the exposed zipper on the back.

I have a feeling the dress will not be as short on me as it is on the model, but I think it will be a cute, above-the-knee look for Spring & Summer.

Once I get these last two pieces done, it is back to Gracie sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.