Search This Blog

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Sew summery


 I made Gracie the jersey knit dress from the cover of the latest Ottobre (3/2013 - design # 12). I had picked up this cute seashell print knit from The Fabric Fairy and couldn't wait to use it. It took less than the yard of fabric, so I took the remaining scrap and sewed up a pair of the Jalie 3247 tumble shorts for her to wear underneath. She likes wearing skirts and dresses when she doesn't have to worry about her undies showing. (So do I!)

This dress is a really quick-to-sew project and would be a great showcase for a pretty applique on the front. I thought about adding an applique to this version, but I opted not to because the fabric is so pretty on its own.

Aside from cutting and sewing this outfit last night, I also stitched up a top for me - Butterick 5609, view D. I did an FBA by adding 2 inches of length to the bodice front and gathering it at the side seams so that the seam that joins the upper and lower front met at the right place.

I like that this top is cool without being too revealing. I hate playing "is my bra strap showing" when I wear a sleeveless top. Plus, the keyhole opening at the front is high enough not to be a cleavage hole.


I also recently finished McCall's 6754, a pattern for which I shall make the bold argument that it might be named one of the best patterns of 2013. It's a fantastic design - both a top and a dress. It is amazing in stripes and easy to sew. Plus, it is totally on trend. I'm calling it. Just sayin'

After finishing these projects, I'm trying to decide what to make next...might have to visit Elegant Stitches for a little inspiration!


5 comments:

  1. Both your summer tops are lovely. I'd love to come and have a look at your wardrobe. (And your fabric, too, hehe, as it takes another sewist to really appreciate it!)

    The little knit dress is super cute. It's on my list as I've promised my youngest two some new summer dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your daughters dress/shorts..so cute.. and I love your top too.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really going to try your FBA technique soon., Great idea. Amazing stripe matching on the Mccalls top- its lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you please tell me where you got that beautiful fabric??? I'm in love with it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The floral print is from Patsy AIken http://www.chezami.com/pa/exp.pa?file=knits&pathcode=fabricshop&sessionid=3SI162TJS03376

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.