Search This Blog

Friday, July 19, 2013

Advanced gymnastics (sewing)

My little Gracie moved up to the advanced girls class at the gym, so I decided to make her another leotard. These things are nice quick gratification projects and when she outgrows them, I can turn around and sell them at the gym. In fact, I left with a handful of cash just yesterday after selling some of the ones from last year.

I've had a bit of a love affair with this material lately:

First I made Simplicity 1622, and I had a small remnant leftover.

Then I decided since it was an appropriate amount of stretchy, it would work for a Jalie 3247 sports bra for Gracie to wear to tumbling. (The black shorts with silver front band were a sale find at Old Navy a few weeks ago.)

I still had extra fabric, so I though it would be cute to make her a matching doll outfit. This is from Simplicity 4654, a doll wardrobe pattern for American Girl/18" dolls and I cute the top 3/4 inch shorter and tightened up the side seams on the shorts to make it fit like a tumbling outfit. Of course, since it is stretchy (and the top has back velcro), it is still easy to get on and off.

Then, since I STILL had fabric, I thought about using it in a leotard. I realized that the print would be perfect for the butterfly appliques found as an option on the Jalie 3138 pattern. There are four of each size which I cut and then experimented with placing. Since she is small, it worked out best to use the three smaller ones on the front and the large one on the back. Since you have four sizes, you have a lot of creative options with this.

The appliques are stitched with a narrow, yet fairly tight, zig zag stitch. I tried not to pull either fabric much which stitching and that seemed to keep it laying nicely. I also wanted her to have matching shorts (also Jalie 3247) and made these purple ones using the contrast waistband option. She can mix and match the shorts for tumbling at the cheer gym with the sports bra top or at gymnastics with the leotard.

Of course, I still have MORE of the print fabric, so her other doll might be getting something to wear...I don't know why I like working with this so much, but I just do.




3 comments:

  1. Super cute.. congrats to Gracie for moving up..
    Bet she loves her new doll clothes.. Just like hers, how fun.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the appliques! I've made plenty of leotards and haven't appliqued any of the them. I really should try it on some of this fall's new leotards...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Sandi! I love what you did with the appliques.

    ReplyDelete