Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

A little sewing, a good bit of traveling...

I have a few projects to share since my last post, but my biggest project was a trip to DC/PA/NYC.

This car organizer is from Simplicity 2553 - I had it cut and interfaced, but did not get it made before we left on July 4th. Oh well...

Gracie got another Jalie 3247 sports bra. I made it from fabric leftover from a top I made and wore on the trip.

This is Simplicity 1622 - I am definitely making another one - probably with 3/4 sleeves - to wear in the fall. I wore this on a day that included a visit to the American Girl store on 5th Avenue, the United Nations (that's me in the room where the UN Security Council meets), and at the Fashion Institute of Technology museum (which was awesome, but you can't take pictures inside there).

I also wore another recent project - the Rock-n-Roll top - to some famous NYC sites. Among other destinations, we went to the Empire State Building and I got to shop at some of the wonderful NYC fabric stores in the garment district (thank you, Peter from malepatternboldness.blogspot.com, for great suggestions) where I ran into Gertie (she of the lovely pink tresses and awesome blog!). I even got to Around the World magazine shop and picked up four issues of La Mia Boutique. Of course, even my husband understood that going to Mood was a requirement.

We also visited my alma mater, Hosftra University, which is on Long Island. That was a lot of fun. I can't believe it has actually been 20 years since I graduated.
Our NYC visit would not have been complete without taking the kids to the 9/11 Memorial and the Statue of Liberty. I wore one of my recent knit top projects, and of course, I dressed Miss Grace in the Hello Kitty/Statue of Liberty ensemble. She was adorable!



While we were on our way to visit family in PA (and subsequently venture off for a few days in the Big Apple), we stopped in Washington, DC. We toured the Capitol and the Library of Congress. That is a great place to be on the 4th of July! 


We also hit DC on the way back home. Jamie wanted to see the National Cathedral after studying about it in a summer program for gifted students. 

Before we left, I did finish one other project - Vogue 8902. I used one of my favorite fabrics - ponte knit and color-blocked the waist inserts. It is lined with a pretty fuchsia print. The lining took a LOT of hand-sewing, but it turned out really nice. 

I also had Colette Patterns' Laurel top cut and ready to sew before vacation. I sewed this one up in about an hour tonight. The print ended up with an odd placement, but I prefer that circle thing to look like a belly button rather than a nip!
I have one more top to sew and then it's on to the NYC fabrics. (I'll have to take some pics and share them here - got some pretty stuff!) 

It also looks like the girl wants to learn to sew. I let her do a little stitching on some scrap fabric and she wants to sew now! 

3 comments:

  1. What a fun vacation.. Know you and family enjoyed it.. Look forward to seeing your NYC fabric purchases.
    Love the garments you made. super cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a awesome vacation! You really put your hand-mades to the test (:

    The car organizer looks great - that's something we need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you got to Mood! For a fellow fabric lover it's a must see...did you see any other shops in the garment district? Finally thanks for making up the Vogue dress. It looks great on you! It's on my fall sewing list also from a Ponte knit.

    ReplyDelete