Search This Blog

Monday, January 20, 2014

Channeling Michelle and Hillary

Friends, it was a good sewing weekend.

I started off with a trip to Hancock Fabrics to purchase a zipper to complete a navy polka dot dress as well as to hit the pattern sale. I scored - every new Vogue, McCall's, and Simplicity that I had been eyeing up, as well as some notions, lining, fashion fabric - and yes the zipper.

When I got home, I started in on the dress, a Palmer/Pletch pattern (McCall's 6834). I love the fit and flare silhouette and was able to get a great fit once I adjusted for a full bust, but took out some extra width (all I needed was extra length in the bust). I think this turned out fabulous. I might even try wearing it with this great red patent leather belt - and maybe a cardigan before the weather warms up. (a.k.a., the Michelle Obama look - that woman can rock a dress!)

I had enough material left to make Gracie a cute little Butterick 5776 dress since she also loved the fabric. I used rick rack to embellish the hem and create a flower at the neckline.



My second big project of the three day weekend was more Hillary Clinton than Michelle Obama. Yes, I sewed a pants suit. One color, head to toe, tailored...it works. I used Simplicity 2446, an Amazing Fit pattern, for the jacket. The pants are from Vogue 1293.

My only complaint there was that they ended up shorter than I prefer, so I ended up adding the cuffs as a facing to get the length where I wanted it.

I purposefully made the pants suit in red. I had purchased this fabric near the start of the school year, but the project got sidelined by Disney sewing. Now, however, I was glad to jump it up to the front of the production line. After all, it's RED for ED - supporting public education as a North Carolina teacher is a BIG deal. We have been crapped on by our state legislature and the governor big time, and RED for ED Wednesdays is an ongoing thing this year. I also want to look professional when I got to events and still represent the fight for education in this state!


So, now my sewing stack is clear...time to grab some fabric and get inspired!


2 comments:

  1. I love your new polkadot dress and your daughters is adorable, as is her dress..
    The red pantsuit is gorgeous..My favorite color.. and best wishes for your RED for ED Wednesdays..[My daughter is a teacher too]

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must feel great when you look at your accomplishments. They look great. Such a cute little one!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.