Search This Blog

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Stepping up my embellishment game for the new year

I didn't get a lot of (non-Disney-related) sewing done in the last third of 2013, and I spent the last week of the year doing a LOT of home organization. I finally got around to finishing a few 2013 projects and embarking on some lovely new things for 2014.

First up, I had three new tops for me cut and ready to go, but I had put them on hold to complete pre-Disney projects.

McCall's 6796 has such an interesting collar treatment - made in a light gray rayon jersey.

For Simplicity 1539, I made view E in a cream ribbed knit with exposed back zipper.

The second version of S1539, view F, is made from a cotton-lycra jersey knit and embellished with a rosmaling design from emblibrary.com. I constructed part of the top, embroidered, and then finished construction. I will have to try this again. I love the results.

 For my next project, I cut out a gymnastics/cheer ensemble for my 6 1/2 year old daughter. The leotard is Jalie 2792. I even made the scrunchie included in the pattern. The fabric is royal blue stretch velvet and a sparkly, patriotic print stretch velvet. She looks like she is ready for the Olympics - so cute!


I made view C which has a square neckline in front and an open back area with a high fastening at the neck. It called for a swimwear hook for closure, but the velvet worked better with two sew-on snaps.

She likes to wear a braid, but I think she's going to appreciate having her hair up once she realizes how much better it will stay put!

She's still working on her splits, and she loves to wear little shorts with her leos at gymnastics. Those same shorts will also work well as tumbling shorts with a crop top for cheer.

The shorts are Jalie 3022 (which is fast becoming a TNT pattern in my arsenal). The top is the leotard pattern - Jalie 3138 - cropped at the lengthen/shorten line. I added an iron-on "cheer" embellishment in sparkly little rhinestones.

Next up is a tunic and leggings combo for Gracie in pretty, printed knits. Then, I might move on to a Vogue Today's Fit leggings pattern for me.

1 comment:

  1. Love your tops ..great job.. and your daugher looks adorable.

    ReplyDelete