Search This Blog

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Fabric Serendipity

Don't you love it when you find the perfect fabric for a project? I found this adorable top for Gracie at a Carter's outlet - $6. I knew I had to get it because we have our sweet black kitty Winston (whom I have caught enjoying his new kitty bed!). Plus, I think it's Halloween-ish without being too Halloween.

Then, I found the perfect (or should I go there and say PURRfect) fabric to go with it; this Alexander Henry print. I picked up a yard intending to make a skirt, but not sure what pattern I want to use. It isn't hard to find a skirt pattern for a 3 year old that uses that yardage, but this one jumped out at me for the clever knit waistband. Plus, I had this gray and black Michael Miller striped knit that looks great with it. Add in mini pompom trim and it was complete in under an hour.
I think Gracie and Winston love it! Isn't she a sweetie pie giving that big fella a hug? He weighed more than her until about a year ago - he's 23 lbs of furry mayhem.

I like how this pattern came together so much that I think I want to do up another version of it.

Since this only took an hour, I had plenty of time to sew up a little something for me: This is Vogue 8650. A number of reviewers had problems with the neckline, but I just adjusted the pleats so it would end up the right size for me - easy! I like the style and I have a similar Butterick pattern sized for knits.

BTW - The white fluffball under my hand is Skippy. He's not as big as that butterball Winston, but he's a sweetheart, too.

3 comments:

  1. At first, I thought the waistband was part of the shirt. It looks like a fun style.

    And your shirt is very pretty with the nice neckline gathers. If you're not a slave to rules, I can see how'd it be easy to fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeee! Adorable skirt and absolutely fabulous with that top. Seriously looks like they came together - like at Baby Gap. Awesome!
    I've had trouble with those pleated neckline tops, but I think I'm just not personalizing those pleats. I might give it another go...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The neckline pleats are one time when lazy trumps anal...I have no patience for marking and it seams to work out well here.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.