Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Vintage Vogue...gone modern

I have been sitting on this gorgeous print - the last 4 yard Fabric Mart had of it - for a couple of months and I was dying to use it, but it had to be the right pattern. Vogue 8789, a vintage style from 1957, turned out to be it.

I had 4 yards of this almost 60 inch wide poplin and wanted to take advantage of that. View A, with its ideal design for stripes, took close to that amount. I didn't have much to spare so the fact that I got the skirt to match up as much as I did was a pretty big deal.

With the print having a rather modern feel with the dots and stripes and bold colors, I decided to skip the cummerbund belt. I picked up this black and white belt at Belk's this evening while on a mission to get new eyeglasses for kid #2 who had a broken pair...hey, it take about an hour, so time to shop!

The belt is really comfortable and eliminates the need for the internal grosgrain ribbon belt. Plus, it camouflages the fact that my big bust pulls up the waistline a bit. Win-win! I can wear it with other things too, which I doubt would have been the case with the belt from the pattern.

I also, mainly due to fabric amount, but also due to being not quite 5'5" decided to take out about 4 inches from the length of the skirt. There is a 3 inch hem in the finished garment. Since the pattern was so busy, I didn't want to fuss with an invisible hem and I didn't need to!

The skirt is about 4 yards wide (before gathering) and therefore a lot of twirl.

I would also have to say that this style has a lot of "Southern belle" about it, but the fabric design reins in the sweetness. Plus, it looks quite a bit like a striped dress with a diagonal cut bodice that I saw at the mall tonight.

Mine is cuter, though...just sayin'!

3 comments:

  1. nice idea.. thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this! Its a very pretty dress with beautiful colors in the fabric

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely dress! It's such a fun style and I like it paired with the unique print.

    ReplyDelete