Search This Blog

Monday, December 31, 2012

The end of winter (sewing)

I'm done with winter. Yes, it has barely begun, but as far as sewing goes, it is OV-ER! I would have to have a very compelling reason to sew something that is not trans-seasonal at this point. After all, I started sewing for cooler weather after we returned from Florida (in August) and our cooler weather in North Carolina doesn't last that long.

This black corduroy has a pretty embroidered floral pattern and will be nice to wear to work until the weather gets a bit warmer. I'm not a huge fan of long skirts, especially since I am barely 5'5" and look taller with knee length or shorter skirts. However, I hate weather tights or hose, so if I want to wear a skirt in the winter...this is a better pick.

This one is made from Simplicity 1717, an Amazing Fit pattern. I made the slim cut version which was a perfect fit in my regular size - no alterations needed. I may not be thin, but I don't carry a lot of junk in the trunk so using the slim cut controlled the fullness at the hips (which I totally do not need).

I also completed a Vogue 8668 tunic with a beautiful Marc Jacobs cotton voile I snagged from a Fabric Mart sale earlier in the year.

This is another pattern that needed little alteration - sufficient room at the bust, my problem area. However, I added 3 inches at the waist in length in order to be sure my girls didn't pull it up.

This is also one of those trans-seasonal pieces due to the lightweight fabric and three-quarter sleeves, but the color is dark enough to work in winter as well.

A third item I made for myself since the holidays was Vogue 1326 - a color-blocked dress. The pattern didn't called for knits, but a nice stable ponte knit works for a lot of things - this pattern included.

The pattern called for wovens cut on the bias and included a lining. I lined mine with a thin light poly blue jersey, but could have probably skipped it due to my fabric choice.  Of course, this made me think about restocking my knit-compatible linings, so I purchased some nude jet set knit at Joann's this evening that would be ideal for lining knits as needed.

I also got a couple of colors of denim twill - bright yellow and hot pink - thinking casual skirts for spring plus some knits - a red floral ruffled knit and a white and navy stripe. As I was getting my fabric cut, I noticed this fun white denim with a multi-colored animal pattern. I got some of that, too. Why not? It's fun and it's a nice stretch denim.

Before I get to cutting any of that, though, I have a few things to sew: two denim skirts for Gracie - one aqua, one purple - from a McCall's pattern, and Simplicity 1783 out of this beautiful animal print. The pattern calls for lightweight wovens. I am going with a lightweight knit. This is a very fluid jersey and I think it will make up lovely. I also have enough of this gorgeous print left to use it in another project...possibly a nightgown.

Maybe tomorrow I'll get the top sewn (and my Christmas tree down!)...then it will be time to recap the sewing of 2012. It's been a very productive year and I plan to hit the highlights in my next post.

Happy New Year's Eve (and go see Les Miserables if you haven't - it's brilliant! I saw it for the second time tonight.)

1 comment:

  1. You have ended the year off with some fantastic sewing - the black floral cord skirt being my fav!
    New Year's Eve here tonight for us lucky Down Under bloggers, so all the best and will catch up with more sewing in the New Year...J

    ReplyDelete