Search This Blog

Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Ottobre Woman bathing suit

This is actually my second self-made swimsuit. I like the first one (made from a Kwik Sew/self-draft hybrid), but I wanted to do even better with the bra. I had two bras that had hook issues but were otherwise okay, and I'd been saving them for just such a purpose...

I had the fabric in my stash for awhile and had been waiting for the right pattern - thank you, Ottobre!

I did the bikini-style bottom and the lower portion of the top straight from the pattern, but I went renegade on the bra portion. This is what I did:

I cut off the hook sections and where the straps connected in the back. I also slit the front center. Since the fabric was very sturdy, I just reinforced the bottom of the slit with a few stitches. I attached plush back elastic to each strap end and to where I trimmed off the hooks. I lined the suit top with swimsuit fashion fabric (the lower part and bikini bottom are lined with nude swimsuit lining). Essentially, the bra is floating in the top of the suit, but it stays in place well since it is connected to the suit in four places and the back overlap and elastic provide a good fit.

I really like the shirring on the side - very forgiving. I need that after four kids!

I'm glad I engineered the bra in this - made it very comfortable and supportive for swimming and playing at Myrtle Beach this weekend!

Speaking of Myrtle Beach, have a peek at my other beach sewing:

All of the boys' shirts are Ottobre with embroidery designs by emblibrary.com.

6 comments:

  1. I like the shirring too! Glad to see you liked this pattern...it's definitely on my "to-do" list now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job with the bathing suit, it looks great on you, I love the colorful fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea to use the bra. I want to make this pattern too but was unsure of the support system;) Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I add this to a regular store bought swim suit you think??? Me and sewing too much..not such a good idea. me and the fabric would end up with too many holes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...maybe if the original suit was big enough you could have room to spare when trying to alter in the bra...I don't know how well that would work.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.