Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Smocking - up close

Gracie's heirloom smocked Easter dress - through the eye of my macro lens:
The hem - piped and stitched closely against the piping.
This shot is actually the dress upside down and inside out - used a scallop stitch to finish the bodice lining.
Close-up on the sleeve embroidery...and the back belt embroidery as well
The collar - I supposed I could have gotten the little blue flowers closer to the vine.
The bodice - backsmocked behind the embroidered section. Close-up, I see the imperfections, but I think that is part of the charm of hand work. I really like how the colors of this piece came together because I had trouble picturing it like the magazine from the skeins of floss alone, but once stitched, it is just right.

1 comment:

  1. It truly is an heirloom I can see it getting passes on to many little girls and very treasured. I do like the wrapped stitch you used for the roses. a perfect choice. Oh all of it is delightful.

    ReplyDelete