Search This Blog

Saturday, June 19, 2010

An Italian Finnish

Having just acquired my first copy of Italian sewing magazine, La Mia Boutique, I had to immediately sew something from it. There was a single, simple knit dress sized for little girls 3-6, so that was the natural choice having the little fashionista to dress. I skipped the binding and substituted foldover elastic (FOE). I like the simple cap sleeves. It gives the dress a little something extra.

Photobucket

Of course, since I had a matching polka dot (both of these fabrics are from Patsy Aiken), I decided to make my favorite bike shorts from the summer '10 Ottobre. I love how these sew up in 10 minutes and keep her little bottom covered in style. She can be a bit of a flasher.

Photobucket

I also loved the little ruffled bolero from the same Ottobre, and found it was the perfect opportunity to use this ruffled knit trim I also got at Patsy Aiken. Sure, I could have done it myself, but why? I have four kids. There will be shortcuts from time to time.

Photobucket

FOE also comes into play on the bolero for binding the neck and making the ties (all one piece). I love that stuff. I have an entire plastic shoebox full of that stuff in a rainbow of colors. It is definitely essential if you sew for kids, but I have found other uses as well.

Photobucket

The baby doll's sleeper has and FOE binding on the neckline. This is one of the best things about sewing for little girls - doll clothes. I'm a girly girl and I love that my daughter is, too. Isn't she a sweetheart with her baby?

Photobucket

Here's a slightly better view of the baby doll outfit. I love the little knotted hat. Do I have to let her have all the fun dressing dolly? This poor baby was sitting around naked for too long. I think it may need more clothes.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I like the combo of stripes and polka dots - it adds to the cute outfit. And how sweet that you made a doll romper and hat. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.