Search This Blog

Friday, August 13, 2010

A Nod to the Selfish Seamstress

Obviously, I have quite an extensive list of blogs that I follow on my sidebar, and one of my favorite is that of the Selfish Seamstress. I love her snark and witty little haikus as well as her fabulous garments. Today she posted a rave extolling the virtues of being selfish with your sewing, and I have to say, I agree with her.

I hate sewing for other people and I won't do it!!!

Okay, let me clarify this. I will on occasion, sew a gift for someone, and of course, I love sewing for my children, but I'm not fixing other people's stuff, altering what doesn't fit them, or custom making something that someone has drooled over.

Unless there's something in it for me.

My wonderful friend Beth knitted this adorable dress for Gracie:

and I made her this bag for her knitting:

I think it was a good barter as I do not knit and she does not sew. We bought each other's materials and consulted on the design and then traded goods.

So, if you want me to sew for you, you have to be able to make something I can't.

I have had people tell me I could sell some of my things - esp. some of the pieces of cuteness I have rendered for darling Gracie. But why? It's not worth my time because no one would pay me what I feel my sewing time is worth. It's priceless. I love the art of being creative. You can't put a price on that kind of fun. Plus, as my children often demonstrate, you just can't put a price on spite...so go hem your own pants!

1 comment:

  1. Sandy, I agree wholeheartedly! I don't have enough time to make the things I want to make, let alone use up my valuable time fixing things for others. I think people that don't sew don't realize what all is involved.
    Love your creations by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.