Search This Blog

Friday, April 29, 2011

Crepe - made reversible!

For my second foray into Colette Patterns, I made "Crepe," a dress with a back wrap and sash, but no other closures. I don't mind zippers and buttons, but this was a fun change of pace.

I love the print - very sophisticated for Fabric Finders. I saw this recently made up in a little girl's dress and I didn't care for it. This one is for the big girls. I was concerned about an unlined white dress, so I decided to line it, which evolved into making it reversible.

I also chose to use black for the sash since it would provide contrast on either side of the dress. While I definitely prefer the print, it's fun to have options.

It wasn't too difficult to make this reversible. I applied the same technique I have used with things for Gracie. I constructed the floral and the lavender bodices, stitched them together along the entire wrap/neckline and the sleeves, then pulled everything through. The seams were then top-stitched.

The skirt sections were joined to the appropriate bodice before I sewed them, with right sides, sash, and bodice on the inside. Once right side out, It was easy to close the final seam during the process of top-stitching. Do this, I have a completely finished garment and didn't have to mess around with all those facings. The only downside is that this dress is TEN YARDS of fabric (when made reversible).

2 comments:

  1. So clever! You have done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, 10 yards!

    It really is a lovely dress, though. Sometimes it's fun to wear a lot of yardage (:

    For some reason, I've recently traced 2 wrap dresses out of Japanese magazines, a front wrap and a back wrap. I don't necessarily have the figure to really pull off a front wrap, but maybe the back wrap will be better. Deciding on fabric is the hard part since I'll be wearing so very much of it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.