Search This Blog

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Thank heaven for little girls!

Today is Gracie's 4th birthday. That means I have been sewing for a little over four years since my sewing began in the last trimester of my pregnancy with her. I had only sewn a couple of times (with my mom's help) making a baby bubble for two of my little guys. When I found out in November of 2006 that I was having a baby girl, I was so excited to look for little girl crib bedding. The more I looked, however, the more I realized that this stuff was too expensive and I was really picky. In early January of 2007, I ordered my Kenmore computerized sewing machine. I bought fabric for a crib set, but I decided to start by making flannel receiving blankets. I bought several yards of pretty flannel, cut them square and did a simple hem. Then I tackled the crib set (bumper and dust ruffle). I moved on to a bucket cover/storage basket project in addition to a baptism dress.



Once Gracie was born, I didn't take the sewing machine out for several months, but when she was about three or four months old, I made a couple of outfits. After all, she had a huge wardrobe I had purchased when I lost my mind found out I was finally having a girl. By the fall, I had discovered Elegant Stitches and gotten my first peek at Ottobre. By winter, I was buying fabric for decorating Gracie's room (we didn't finish converting the nursery to just her room until the boys were all fixed up with a double room for the three to share). Her first really fancy dress by mommy couture was for her first Easter, and my sewing really took off from there.

Now, I make more of her clothes than I buy and I also make a lot of my own clothing. I even sew for the guys, our home, and for lots of different projects. It is a true joy to be able to create wonderful things for my family.

1 comment:

  1. What a cutie pie. You are amazing to be sewing so well after only 4 years! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.