Search This Blog

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Pattern Play

Let's talk about patterns, and this time I don't mean sewing patterns - rather patterns and prints on fabrics. I am drawn to pattern and have been for a long time. Before I started sewing, I was a scrapbooker, a big time obsessed scrapbooker. I love photography, I love being creative, but most of all I love patterned paper.

I still scrapbook. In fact, I spent the better part of today organizing my scrapbook stuff. See all the paper (even the solid colors) has to be organized attractively. The patterned stuff is in standing files.
 I have so darn much scrapbook stuff because I am obsessed with pretty colors and eye pleasing patterns and I enjoy adorning my photos much as I enjoy designing what to do with fabric. I did steal my rotary mat from the sewing stuff to use as a desk blotter, but I bought a new double-sided Fiskars mat half price at Joann's last night. 

Another thing that got me thinking about pattern was looking through all my Basic Grey papers. Basic Grey has been putting out fabric for Moda based on their gorgeous scrapbook papers. Cosmo Cricket and David Walker Designs are also crossovers from the scrapping world. Conversely, Amy Butler started with lovely fabric but licensed her designs to K & Company for scrapbook paper and embellishments. Michael Miller also has ventured into scrapbooking with fabric treated to function like paper.

So now, I have decided I want to lobby my favorite designers to switch off...Patty Young (Modkid), Heather Bailey, and Sandi Hendersen (Portobello Pixie) - love your fabric designs, now I want to see some scrapbook paper. I'd like to see some Doodlebug Designs paper prints transformed into fabric - would make great knit patterns for kidswear. I'd like to see Scenic Route interpreted as fabric for sportswear, and I'd love to see We R Memory Keepers gorgeous color schemes on any kind of fabric.

Anyone else out there scrap and sew? Anyone else ever seen a design that you wanted in a fabric but it was in another medium?

No comments:

Post a Comment