Search This Blog

Sunday, July 25, 2010

A preview of coming attractions

I had a cutting party, one of my favorite things to do. I love imagining all the possibilities as I match fabric to pattern. Here are some pieces for transitioning from summer to fall:

First up is Vogue 1152 which is a Rebecca Taylor design. I'm making it in a satiny poly print from Hancock's.

I added an inch and a half to the bodice (piece 1) below the V neck and increased the curve on the side front at the bust an equal amount. That's why this piece doesn't lay flat - because I am most definitely not flat!

I plan to complete this tomorrow and pair it with some lovely black strappy pumps I recently got on sale at Macy's.

My next project is also a Vogue - Today's Fit by Sandra Betzina, V8151. I've made view B already and it's a great fitting basic knit top. I'm tackling view A, the wrap top, out of a gorgeous Canvasbacks knit I got last summer at Waechter's Fine Fabrics in Asheville, NC while I was traveling. (Funny how I always make a side trip to a good fabric store...)

I like the cut of this pattern, especially the ruching at the bottom sides. That looks quite forgiving.

While I have the serger threaded with white, the next project will be from the June 2010 Burda. I have decided that being a size 44 Euro is perfect as I can fit both the regular and the plus patterns, and what is not to love about that sexy knit top with the gathered front seam? I'll be making it in an ITY jersey I got from Fabric.com.

After the two print tops, I'll be threading up my machines with purple for the next two selections.

The first purple top is Simplicity 2364. I'm using some purple interlock that I got at the Patsy Aiken outlet and making view E. I like view E because it's almost one shouldered, but I need that little strap. I think this will be fun to wear to the Brad Paisley concert next month (especially after seeing how people were dressed at Toby Keith).

The second purple top is made with a really drapey cotton blend jersey I got at the Fabric Mart store in Reading, PA, on my recent trip. It was only $2 a yard! I'll be making Simplicity 3790, View D. I think the draped front collar will work quite well with this fabric. You can also see in the picture that the fabric has a pretty sheen to it.

The last project I cut tonight was also from Simplicity 4032: a jacket designed for fabrics such as the ubiquitous polar fleece that abounds at Joann's (which is, of course, where I got it). I have cut view D which has a cute curved front shape that was easy to do an FBA on and is a style that looks good on ladies with a lot happening up top. I really like the idea of this as a casual, yet somewhat more sophisticatedly styled jacket. I'd like to try a more tailored jacket for this fall and this is a good stepping stone project, in my opinion.

At this point, I ran out of pins and space in my to-be-sewn basket, so I dumped a load of fabric in the washer for shrinking purposes. All but the dark solid on the bottom left are Michael Miller knits from Patty Young's collection. They are lovely, but prone to major shrinkage so I was not about to touch them without prewashing. I also wanted to be sure the dark stretch twill was ready to be cut into a semi-fitted skirt from a Rachel Comey (Vogue designer) pattern. Once I do that skirt, I'll probably switch over to working on Gracie's back to school wardrobe. My baby is starting three-year-old preschool and she needs some cute things for school.

1 comment:

  1. Those are great pairings of fabric with pattern. I can't wait to see them made up.

    ReplyDelete